[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Billiard Coach Forum • View topic - over handicapped tournaments

over handicapped tournaments

Everything except tournament announcements goes here.

Re: over handicapped tournaments

Postby Sully on Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:39 am

I'm an A/AA player and I prefer open tournaments with $75-$100 entry. I love the challenge of playing the best! However, the open tournaments are just not being hosted! There should be 40-50 master players at each event! I think sometimes the egos and loyalty to pool halls gets in the way. Someone needs to host a good OPEN TOURNAMENT and everyone needs to attend. Support pool! Tom
Sully

Postby jhein on Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:55 pm

I'm a B/C level player that would be willing to make a donation. I've been trying for years to elevate my game. Occasionally get on a good roll and consider it an accomplishment to shoot a good match and occasionally beat the few A players I know.

For my level of play, I think I'm in the minority and most guys I play with would probably not attend something like this, but I would.

A couple of things that might make it more attractive would be alternating breaks and a slightly lower entry fee. I think this is the only way you're going to attract lower level players, if that is indeed the goal. It's already a given that my entry fee is purely a donation, and the alternating breaks means I at least get a chance to participate. I can watch you run racks from the bleachers if that's all I wanted to do. Give me a chance to at least say I got my moneys worth for the experience and I'm in.

Now, let me flip the question back to you Master players. If this tournament happens, and 20 or 30 of us low level bangers that don't have a prayer in competing actually do show up, how do you feel about plowing your way through the field? Is there going to be a bunch of pissing and moaning that the tournament took all day and a bunch of people didn't have any business being there in the first place? I'm assuming this is going to be a blind draw, how about the master player that gets bracketed against several other masters, versus the master that gets the lucky draw and plows through all the bangers. Am I going to get your best game? After all, that's why I made the donation to begin with. Are you going to lose interest because there is no challenge until you get to the final matches?
jhein

Postby rharm on Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:40 pm

I think there have been some great points made. I agree with Mike that the lower divisions should receive smaller payouts and some incentive to move up. Let me state also that I am a lower level player, but I agree that for a B or C player to when their division and get the same payout as the Masters division is not right. I like the idea of smaller and fewer payouts in the lower divisions, but give free entry into the next higher division the following year. I am in the same boat as jhein also, I have no problems paying an entry fee to play against the top players, knowing that I am totally outclassed. It would be interesting to see what types of turn outs there would be with a season of no handicapped tournaments, only having open tournaments for a player at any level to play. With the largest group of players being A and lower, I feel I would have a good chance of being matched against these players as opposed to those at the top level. Win a match or two against the lower players as myself, have a chance at some money and get to play top competition. I agree with Sully also, there aren't many truely open tournaments. I have always considered Seco's more of an invite only, not a true Open tournament. If it were really Open, it should be open to those that 1st sign up, not those that are deemed worthy.
rharm

Postby Pot Black on Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:55 pm

Golf has the model, the Minnesota State Open. Have 2 separate entry fees, for example... A player declares himself a pro, now he pays an entry fee of $200. If a player declares himself an amateur, he pays an entry of $50. The amateur can't win money, he can only win the trophy. All players play the same tournament. If 10 amateur's play, BAM there is your $500 added. Once a player declares himself pro, he can no longer play as an amateur.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pot Black

Postby Pot Black on Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:06 pm

In fact... Why don't several of us forum members stop posting about it? Let's officially be the founding fathers of the Minnesota State Open 10 ball tournament. 2017 will be the 100th anniversary of the state open golf tournament, the trophy means something. Tom Lehman is a 2 time champion, 1989/90. Stop posting, and start making history.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pot Black

Postby Mike Fieldhammer on Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:57 pm

Thanks,
Mike Fieldhammer

Several Predator Cues and Samsara Cues for sale. Please inquire.
Mike Fieldhammer
Site Admin

Postby jhein on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:08 pm

Mike,

Question on the event you're envisioning at Jimmy's. Is the entry fee $100 per day or $100 gets you into both?
jhein

Postby jhein on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:37 pm

A little more on entries fees, $5 is ridiculously low. We have a monthly $5 entry tournament where I live. It's fun to play in because it's all local guys. But, I won it once last year and it still cost me money for the day after paying my bar tab and having a bite to eat.

If you keep it in the $20 to $50 range, you can encourage enough participation to still make it worth the while for the top finishers and not be a total waste for the losers.
jhein

Postby the pool master on Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:56 pm

the pool master

Postby Mike Fieldhammer on Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:14 pm

I'll have to talk to Jimmy to work out the details and entry fees.

Seco's went to $110 per day this year and I'm sure it will fill. I'm not sure if the first year was $75 to enter but adjusted for inflation it would be $216 today.

2015-11-17 17_05_45-Inflation Calculator _ Find US Dollar's Value from 1913-2015.png
2015-11-17 17_05_45-Inflation Calculator _ Find US Dollar's Value from 1913-2015.png (13.25 KiB) Viewed 3311 times

Anyway, I always wanted to have a $5 entry tournament with the tagline "You might spend more in fuel than it is to enter." I agree $5 is too low, but I guarantee a bunch of masters level players will still enter and it will be a fun event. I'd like to take away the "I'm just throwing my money away" objection that many players cite for skipping an event. I want to encourage players of all abilities to jump in and battle even up. Plenty of great players will agree that you've got to play some better competition to improve. If the field got huge, the races might be 3/2 or 2/1 to add to the excitement!
Thanks,
Mike Fieldhammer

Several Predator Cues and Samsara Cues for sale. Please inquire.
Mike Fieldhammer
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Main Forum