[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Billiard Coach Forum • View topic - over handicapped tournaments

over handicapped tournaments

Everything except tournament announcements goes here.

Re: over handicapped tournaments

Postby jhein on Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:00 pm

jhein

Postby Chilly Willy on Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:12 pm

I'd pay to play. $100 might be too steep for me. But $50 is a no brainer. As long as it's alternating break and double elimination, I'm in.

I'm a B/C player and I feel like I tend to match my opponent. I'd much rather play against a better player any day. It sharpens me up and challenges me to bring my best game to the table. But put me against a Master player and I don't have a chance in hell without a handicap. That's why I at least want the double elim and alternating breaks: I have to at least get to hit a few balls for my donation to the winner's pot.
Chilly Willy

Postby Mike Fieldhammer on Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:33 am

Thanks,
Mike Fieldhammer

Several Predator Cues and Samsara Cues for sale. Please inquire.
Mike Fieldhammer
Site Admin

Postby jlt6666 on Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:50 pm

Why not ladder or semi-ladder style tournaments. Lower level players in a play-in bracket. Mainly a trophy but entry into the next level. If they are hot maybe they win a game or two at the next level. Lower entry fees on the lower skill levels. Repeat as necessary.
jlt6666

Postby Mike Fieldhammer on Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:26 am

Thanks,
Mike Fieldhammer

Mike Fieldhammer
Site Admin

Postby TCo on Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:10 pm

Dang, travel out of town for three days and I missed handicap discussion day.

If someone say’s you’re competitive, its a compliment and they're saying you have the 4 traits below. Why anyone competes:
1) Desire to improve performance
2) Prove you can perform against others
3) Performance above our norm (improvement validated)
4) Desire to win (root competitive nature)

ANY tournament could fulfill these points but an over handicapped tournament gives a ‘Plus 1’ (or more) to # 3 – but it’s a perception, not a truth. Sadly, so many people (and SO many people’s kids) are solely driven by # 4, desire to win that all others become moot or worse, unnecessary. “If I always win, why do I need to improve?”

“Pooling” rather than seeding, 1v16, 2v15, etc – actually defeats the purpose of competition. Think of how much participation you’d have if ‘pooling’ was used in a non-handicapped event.

I’m more likely to participate if I’m not dead money – and not that I’m saying I need to win, but I do need to fulfill something in 1-4 above. I’m not going to throw down a large dollar amount to enter a tournament to go 2 & out watching two people run racks – I can do that on youtube.

The idea of $100 in a Seco-like at Jimmy’s would be more reasonable. Mike, people will come Mike. They’ll come to Jimmy’s for reasons they can’t even fathom. They’ll turn in the parking lot not knowing for sure why they’re doing it. They’ll arrive at the door as innocent as children longing for the past. "Of course, we won’t mind if you look around" you’ll say. "It’s only $100 per person". They’ll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack.
TCo

Postby the pool master on Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:28 pm

the pool master

Postby Mike Fieldhammer on Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:12 pm

I spoke with Jimmy. January or February $500 added bar box 8-ball race to 7 double elimination no jump cue winner break.

Sent from my hltetmo using Tapatalk
Thanks,
Mike Fieldhammer

Mike Fieldhammer
Site Admin

Re:

Postby jhein on Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:52 pm

jhein

Re: Re:

Postby Mike Fieldhammer on Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:08 pm

Attachments
Jimmy's-8-ball-Ver-4.png
Jimmy's-8-ball-Ver-4.png (714.01 KiB) Viewed 3204 times
Thanks,
Mike Fieldhammer

Mike Fieldhammer
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Main Forum