In Memoriam — Larry Jones

Everything except tournament announcements goes here.

In Memoriam — Larry Jones

Postby Mike Fieldhammer on Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:25 pm

Larry Jones passed away this morning.

Larry was a true fan of the game, especially straight pool. I'm thankful for all he did for pool in Minnesota and have warm memories of a lengthy conversation we had leaning on the front counter at Shooters not too long ago. Tomorrow I'll play a little 14.1 in his honor.
Thanks,
Mike Fieldhammer

Several Predator Cues and Samsara Cues for sale. Please inquire.
Mike Fieldhammer
Site Admin

Re: In Memoriam — Larry Jones

Postby popman on Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:33 pm

Here's his obit...

http://www.startribune.com/obituaries/s ... ry%20jones

In memory...

Larry played, in his later years, at Shooters. He was a fixture on the pool scene for many years. In his prime he was well known as top short stop but he was best known for his straight pool prowess.

He was a "Mosconiac" complete with the smoothest slip stroke that a human could develop. He used this stroke to beat me with runs of 60,70 and eighties. At Shooters, he has official runs of over 100 and I think he has, at least one run of over 150 AND he did all that WITHOUT the slip stroke!

Dennis Green kept the records when he was running the leagues.

Larry and I talked a lot about pool. I asked he why he abandoned the slip stroke in his later years. He told me that he was always trying to get rid of the dam thing!!!
Incidentally, Joe Saad, who also played with a slip stroke, said the same thing.

What's ironic is that some of the top billiard instructors actually encourage their students to learn how to play with a slip stroke. I used to play with one. I abandoned it too. Why? Maybe it's because Larry, Joe and me found a new mountain to climb.

When I heard about his passing it bummed me out for two days. I still can't believe that he's gone.

I sure will miss Jonesy and I don't think I'll be alone. I could tell you stories about Larry. I'm sure that a lot of you reading this will want tell some L.J. stories yourself.

So, I'll leave some room for all the others that knew him.

Jerry Berg.
popman

Postby digital_952 on Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:55 am

Larry was a friend and mentor. Sad to see table 39 at Shooters open now. According to my records Larry's high run was 158 balls. During his 14.1 career he played such greats as Steve Mizerak, Joe Balsis, Dallas West and Don Willis. Larry will be missed.

Dennis Green
digital_952

Postby TCo on Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:48 am

Truly a big gap in our pool world. The handful of times I had the privilege to play straight pool with Larry, I enjoyed every point we played and learned so very much from him, game related as well as history.

Sign me up for the Larry Jones Memorial.

Rest in peace my friend.
TCo

Return to Main Forum