Watching Snooker just got easier! On Facebook

Everything except tournament announcements goes here.

Watching Snooker just got easier! On Facebook

Postby Mike Fieldhammer on Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:52 pm

I've had to jump through hoops to watch the biggest snooker event of the year, but no more!

They're airing it live via Facebook, so no more excuses people! Try it, you'll love it.

I've seen every year's tournament since Higgins won in 2007. If it wasn't so good, I'd have quit watching a long time ago. Believe me.

Here's the press release that explains it:

~~~
News Release

World Snooker Championship to be Broadcast throughout the Americas and the Indian Sub-Continent Live On Facebook

Broadcast of snooker’s biggest tournament will be available in new territories through a partnership with Facebook Live.

The Betfred World Championship runs from April 15 to May 1 and the entire tournament* will be broadcast live on Facebook throughout North and South America as well as India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Sri Lanka.

Fans in those territories will be able to watch the event FREE simply by connecting to World Snooker’s Facebook page.

The live broadcast will include coverage of both tables from the famous Crucible Theatre in Sheffield, as 32 players battle for one of the most prestigious titles in sport.

World Snooker Chairman Barry Hearn said: “This is a momentous announcement for snooker fans worldwide as it means our biggest tournament will have a far greater global reach than ever before. We already have a television audience for the World Championship in excess of 300 million in over 100 countries, and now we want to broaden our reach across the entire planet via Facebook Live.

“For the countless millions of fans in these territories this is fantastic news as they will be able to watch all 17 days of the tournament live and free, simply by logging on to our Facebook page.

“For us this strategy is about reaching out to relatively untapped areas and finding out the strength of the market. Snooker is booming in the UK, Asia and Europe and we are always looking for the next opportunity as we seek to develop as a truly global sport.

“We’re delighted to be working with Facebook on this initiative for the first time and I look forward to seeing some impressive numbers. We are celebrating 40 years of the World Championship at the Crucible this time and this is set to be the greatest tournament yet.”

To watch the Facebook Live stream, if you are in one of the countries listed below, all you need to do is visit www.facebook.com/WorldSnooker1 once the tournament starts. Then 'Like' the page to get notifications about the live broadcast, as well as all the latest news and information about snooker.

*In the USA, the Facebook Live Broadcast will be up to and including the quarter-finals only.

Countries where the Facebook Live broadcast will be available:

North America
USA (up to and including the quarter-finals only)
Canada
Mexico
Antigua and Barbuda
Bahamas
Barbados
Belize
Costa Rica
Cuba
Dominica
Dominican Republic
El Salvador
Grenada
Guatemala
Haiti
Honduras
Jamaica
Nicaragua
Panama
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Trinidad and Tobago

South America
Argentina
Bolivia
Brazil
Chile
Colombia
Ecuador
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Suriname
Uruguay
Venezuela

Asia
India
Pakistan
Bangladesh
Afghanistan
Sri Lanka

Date: Tuesday April 11, 2017
Thanks,
Mike Fieldhammer

Several Predator Cues and Samsara Cues for sale. Please inquire.
Mike Fieldhammer
Site Admin

Re: Watching Snooker just got easier! On Facebook

Postby Mike Fieldhammer on Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:23 pm

Thanks,
Mike Fieldhammer

Mike Fieldhammer
Site Admin

Postby Mike Fieldhammer on Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:06 am

Matches for today through Wednesday. Still first round action. The matches will heat up, I guarantee it! Ronnie involved in a little bit of press conference controversy today...

2017-04-17 11_03_55-Sessions _ World Snooker Live Scores.png
2017-04-17 11_03_55-Sessions _ World Snooker Live Scores.png (46.37 KiB) Viewed 2271 times
Thanks,
Mike Fieldhammer

Mike Fieldhammer
Site Admin

Postby Mike Fieldhammer on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:23 am

Has anyone tried watching on Facebook? Is there a setting where one can get rid of all the floating emoji things running across the bottom of the picture?
Thanks,
Mike Fieldhammer

Mike Fieldhammer
Site Admin

Postby Chilly Willy on Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:21 am

I think I did. But of course I don't remember what I did. It couldn't have been too complicated. Clicked on them or something?
Chilly Willy

Postby Chilly Willy on Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:27 am

Actually, I think just going to fullscreen mode is what did it for me.
Chilly Willy

Postby Mike Fieldhammer on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:48 am

Thanks! Will try that.

Here's the match lineup for Wed - Thurs - Fri.

2017-04-19 08_46_42-Sessions _ World Snooker Live Scores.png
2017-04-19 08_46_42-Sessions _ World Snooker Live Scores.png (45.06 KiB) Viewed 2231 times
Thanks,
Mike Fieldhammer

Mike Fieldhammer
Site Admin

Postby Mike Fieldhammer on Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:01 am

Chilly Willy wrote:Actually, I think just going to fullscreen mode is what did it for me.

Oh, and is the quality/commentary good? Is it the complete BBC coverage or is it the web feed. In other words, do they do the studio stuff between frames too?
Thanks,
Mike Fieldhammer

Mike Fieldhammer
Site Admin

Postby Chilly Willy on Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:30 am

Mike Fieldhammer wrote:Oh, and is the quality/commentary good? Is it the complete BBC coverage or is it the web feed. In other words, do they do the studio stuff between frames too?

I haven't been able to watch enough to be sure about between frames. Everything I've watched has been pretty continuous. Even when Xiao took a break they stayed on. And the commentary has been good. Good comments for good snookers, and opinions about shot choices.

(Speaking of Ryan Day/Xiao - I wouldn't bet money on Day right now. He's definitely not playing up to standard.)
Chilly Willy

Postby Mike Fieldhammer on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:27 am

Chilly Willy wrote:
Mike Fieldhammer wrote:Oh, and is the quality/commentary good? Is it the complete BBC coverage or is it the web feed. In other words, do they do the studio stuff between frames too?

I haven't been able to watch enough to be sure about between frames. Everything I've watched has been pretty continuous. Even when Xiao took a break they stayed on. And the commentary has been good. Good comments for good snookers, and opinions about shot choices.

(Speaking of Ryan Day/Xiao - I wouldn't bet money on Day right now. He's definitely not playing up to standard.)

Yes, the only Welshman in the event really was flat. I think there are/were 6 Asian players in the draw, a record. Some of them are fantastically talented.

Everyone: I highly recommend watching Ronnie vs. Shaun 2nd round World Snooker Championship round at 1 pm CDT live on Facebook. https://facebook.com/worldsnooker1 is the link. Today is day 6 of the 17 day event.
Thanks,
Mike Fieldhammer

Mike Fieldhammer
Site Admin

Next

Return to Main Forum